Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
COPD affects more than 10 million persons in the United States, with Chronic Bronchitis accounting for approximately 75% of cases and emphysema accounting for the remaining 25%. The incidence, prevalence, and mortality rates of COPD increase with age and are higher in men, whites, and persons of lower socioeconomic status. Cigarette smoking remains the principal cause of disease in up to 90% of patients with chronic bronchitis and emphysema. However, only 15-20% of smokers develop COPD. Repeated exposure to air pollution, dust, or chemical fumes can also lead to the development of COPD, but the contribution of these factors appears to be minor compared with tobacco use.
Schedule a Consultation
Abstract: Increasing dependence on advanced technologies in the 21st century has created a dilemma between the practice and business of medicine. From information technology to robotic surgery, new technologies have expanded treatment possibilities and have…
Severe pulmonary edema following hyperbaric oxygen therapy for acute carbon monoxide poisoning: a case report and clinical experience.
Abstract: Pulmonary edema following hyperbaric oxygen (HBO₂) therapy is a rare clinical phenomenon. This case report describes such a patient – a 56-year-old woman who suffered from severe pulmonary edema after HBO₂ therapy for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Patient…
Non-dysbaric arterial gas embolism associated with chronic necrotizing pneumonia, bullae and coughing: a case report.
Abstract: Arterial gas embolism (AGE) can be clinically devastating, and is most often associated with exposure to changes in ambient pressure, medical procedure or congenital malformation. Here we report a case of AGE in a 78-year-old male without these traditional…